The Top 20 Best Persuasive Essay Topics For Elementary School
Even our youngest students are not immune from the pressures of essay writing. While it is good practice for their later education years, and for teaching them how to argue for what they believe in, getting them to choose a topic can be extremely difficult. The key to making this a rewarding and non-punishing experience for your child is to help them make it fun. Fun is definitely relative, but here are twenty of the best persuasive essay topics that can be used in elementary school:
- Should students be permitted to have their cell phones with them during class?
- The cafeteria is starting to serve ice cream as a dessert but only flavor will be offered. Write a letter to the principal explaining what your choice would be and why they should choose it.
- You want a friend to spend the night on a school night. Create an argument that will sway your parents to let the sleepover happen.
- Your summer vacation is coming up and you are going away with your family. You are only allowed to bring one of the following: coloring books, books, or action figures or dolls. Explain how and why you would choose.
- Should your family make the move to a large city or to the country?
- Which rule does your household have that you disagree with? Persuade your parents to reconsider their position.
- Your family won the lottery. What should the money be used for?
- Your class is burying a time capsule. What item should not be left out?
- Why should you be allowed to have your own pet?
- Vegetables should be grown by everyone at home.
- It is time for me to stay at home by myself.
- What field trip is the most interesting?
- Should we have homework every night?
- Why war is bad
- Should there be a ban on junk food at school, even if it is sent with your lunch from home?
- We need to save electricity. People use too much power.
- Math is way too hard. We should not have to learn about it at all.
- Should animals be kept in zoos or should they remain free?
- What has more impact - recycling or donating?
- It is better to live in the country than the city/ the city than the country.
Writing an essay can be a daunting task for both teachers and students in terms of creating and crafting a high quality essay, and finally editing and grading them.
It seems though we may have overlooked one of the toughest steps in writing an essay and that is actually selecting an appropriate and interesting topic for your students.
Thankfully I have put together a list of 25 great essay topics that might just make that process a little easier. Enjoy. And remember to add any other great suggestions in the comment section below.
If you are still struggling with the essay writing process and need further guidance be sure to check out our definitive guide to writing a great essay.
- Zoos are sometimes seen as necessary but not poor alternatives to a natural environment. Discuss some of the arguments for and/or against keeping animals in zoos.
- Imaginethat your teacher wants to teach a new subject for the next few weeks. Your teacher will take suggestions, and then let the students vote on the new subject. What subject should your class choose? Write an essay to support your choice and to persuade the other students to vote for your choice.
- Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?
- Should teachers have to wear uniforms or have a dress code?
- Since the invention of nuclear weapons we have had a long period of GLOBAL peace and stability. Are nuclear weapons global peacemakers or killing devices?
- Should boys and girls be in separate classes?
- Is the death penalty effective?
- To what extent is the use of animals in scientific research acceptable?
- What age is appropriate for dating?
- Pretend you woke up one day and there were no rules. People could suddenly do whatever they wanted! Explain what the world would be like. Use your imagination!
- Should student’s textbooks be replaced by notebook computers?
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high schools?
- Should wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations?
- Should money be spent on space exploration?
- Is fashion important?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Ifyou had the opportunity to bring any person — past or present, fictional or nonfictional — to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favourite location, etc.), who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person
- Most high level jobs are done by men. Should the government encourage a certain percentage of these jobs to be reserved for women?
- Should students be allowed to grade their teachers?
- In your opinion what factors contribute to a good movie?
- The destruction of the world’s forests is inevitable as our need for land and food grows. Do you agree?
- Many parents give their children certain chores or tasks to do at home. Should children have to do chores or tasks at home? Be sure to explain why you think it is a good idea or a bad idea. Include examples to support your reasons.
- Should the voting age be lowered to thirteen?
- Should the government place a tax on junk food and fatty snacks?
- Should more be done to protect and preserve endangered animals?